Frequently asked questions -cars from out of state

My car from out of state is only a few years old, do I need a smog check?

Yes, it does. Any smog exemption applies to vehicles currently registered in CA. All vehicles need a smog check, except gasoline powered 1975 year model or older, electric, motorcycles, Diesel powered 1997 year model and older or with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating of more than 14,000 lbs.

I am bringing a pick-up from out of state, do I need a weight certificate?

Only if your out of state title or registration card does not specify the "shipping," "tare," "WT/Wheels" or "unladen" weight of the vehicle.

Where do I get a weight certificate for my pick-up or commercial vehicle?

For licensed public scales locations in California click here.

How do I get a VIN inspection?

At our office (pleae make an appointment), or searchfor VIN verification near your city.

What is a VIN inspection?

It's a physical inspection of the VIN's on your vehicle performed by a licensed VIN verifier (we have 2 licensed VIN verifiers at our office).

How long does a VIN inspection take?

It only takes a few minutes.

My car was previously registered in CA, do I need a smog check and VIN inspection?

Yes, if it was registered in another state, and you would like to register in CA again.


Phone: 408-258-4000

Hours: Monday to Friday 10 am to 4 pm


1668 McKee Rd Ste 6

San Jose, California 95116

Yelp     Google    YouTube

  • YouTube

© 2021  By Conar Auto Registration Services. We are licensed by the CA DMV to provide vehicle registration services to the public, but our company is not a branch of the Department of Motor Vehicles. Registration services may be provided at the DMV without additional fees.”  *Some restrictions apply based on the type of transaction.  Design by Wolfie.